Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Orange Obsession at Mod-Central

A few months ago I had a brilliant idea to expand our mid century modern book business by selling on Etsy.com. I thought I could offer my books on jewelry making, sculpture design, mosaics as well as interior design books to fellow artists out there. So far, so good. I've met a lot of people who appreciate mid century modern design.

Recently I met a woman named Carin Brown who is the mod mama at Mod-Central. She loves mod design just like I do and we also share a passion, or should I say obsession with the color orange!
Wow! What a collection!

I just had to interview her for my blog. Carin was kind enough to answer a few questions and share her modtastic collection of art and other items from the 60s.

Populuxe: How did you get into selling on ebay and etsy?

Orange dream kitchen
Carin: My husband pushed me to start selling my paintings on ebay. After leaving a employer I had loved working for I was looking for something that would drive a passion I have for art and design. I had just designed our new home and wanted to start saving for building it. So I figured worse case I would be a flop and we would have great art for the new house.

Populuxe: Do you work out of your home like I do? How do you organize and store your items you sell?
she's so organized
cool clock
Carin: I love working from home, as I am sure you do too. For me organizing has always been a piece of cake. I invested in great shelving for the garage and never over buy. I think most sellers of Mid- Century to Retro Era's over purchase and often have items sit for long periods of time unsold. I believe in focusing of what your passion is and only selling top quality items.

cute kitties


Populuxe: Do you find it hard to let go of some of the items you find? I sure do.

 Carin: Oh yes, I am as weak as they get. My husband often says "keeping or selling"? when I find an amazing piece. But I have found after you have it around for a bit, it tends to be easy to let go.

Populuxe: Whats the coolest thing you've found? Did you sell it or keep it?

Carin: I have several pieces that we have kept over the years. That most amazing item would be a set of matching wall murals made during the 1950's in Austin Texas. They were only 11 know murals made in this style and while at a local Goodwill I ran across two. I found those and six sets of Jaru animal sculptures. That is what I call a very good hunting day.

cool finds


Populuxe: Is there a holy grail item you are still looking for?

Carin: Funny thing is I have found most of my dream pieces, including my husband. Maybe one more egg chair would be nice. A orange one would be ideal, but I could always add different fabric if I needed too.

Populuxe: Tell me about your home and the items you collect. What sparked your love of the color orange?

Carin: Wow where to start? I have a passion for orange I love it, it is age less and modern. I collect everything from the 1950's to the 1970's. If it draws me I buy it, every item I purchase for my home I have a spot picked for it. Orange items are it for me. I love the idea of how orange items in your home make your home feel like it's sun shining everyday. No matter how bad my day goes, I walk in to my home and smile. Everyone is drawn to certain designs or colors that make them feel like everything is all right and naturally we purchase those designs or colors.
orange makes for an energizing bath


Populuxe: Do you have any advice for sellers or buyers/collectors?

Carin: For sellers I would say live what you sell and you will be a better seller for it. For buyers and or collectors ask questions and research. My biggest advice I could give to everyone be passionate about what you buy, you are working with items that are quickly disappearing. Love them and enjoy the beauty.

a divine place to dine


Populuxe: Thank you Carin at Mod-Central for sharing your amazing collection with us. I really dig your style! Best of luck with your business and the House of Sunshine.

For more Mod-Central modness check out
Mod-Central on ebay
Mod-Central on etsy

contact Carin Brown mod-central@hotmail.com

for more pics of Carin's Sunshine House check out my Mod-Central set on flickr
 





1 comment:

Jessica Martin said...

Your blog contain a vital and verity content and this is good source for designing , I like it very much and I want to my blog for my Timber decks brisbane site like that and I have book marked this blog to see your quality bloging .